What is The Keelcrab?
Underwater drone for maintenance and inspection of yacht hulls, pleasure boats and houseboats.
*vat and shipping not included
- Keelcrab underwater robot for hull maintenance including HD camera and, remote control 7″ display with joystick and 7 metres of cable
- Drone cable 20 metres neutral-negative Kevlar-reinforced, external electronics box 220-110V to 24V
- Light Pack: 400 lumen-led (2)
- A.N.C.C.P. certified white nylon counter-rotating brush perfect for frequent hull maintenance. Compatible with hard matrix (non-water soluble) antifouling paints that meet the requirements of Regulation (EU)528/2012 BPR or silicone matrices (or silicone films) or new biocide-free matrices.
- Transport case for containing the electronics box and remote control.
- Spare parts kits for consumables
- Connectivity pack: possibility of connection to the wi-fi generated by the drone and by using the appropriate APP (free) to view (record or take photos) directly on your device.
- Motorized brush predisposition: provision for a kit of cushioned counter-rotating disc brushes (15mm excursion/adaptation to surface) move by a dedicated waterproof engine to guarantee the best cleaning capacity ever achieved by your Keelcrab. If this optional kit is purchased, a pair of nylon disc brushes are supplied to replace the counter-rotating brush (described above) supplied with THE Keelcrab.
THE KEELCRAB is the first of the new generation of submarine robots entirely designed and manufactured in Italy (100% made in Italy) to perform robotic cleaning, maintenance and hull inspection activities.
Characterized by a plastic exoskeleton with a neutral hydrostatic buoyancy, it maintains perfect adherence to the hull thanks to an important suction effect generated by a powerful marinised pump motor, removing and sucking up algae or vegetation that typically form on the living workings of boats during periods of docking in closed waters.
The robot’s movement is ensured by natural rubber or P.V.A. brushes driven by tracks that allow easy maneuvering in all directions, on any surface and making the drone adept at overcoming obstacles.
The high-resolution underwater camera allows the robot to be maneuvered by means of a wired remote control displaying the video stream on a 7-inch display, tablet or phone (optional) in high resolution.
The Keelcrab is also equipped with the Diver pack predisposition (optional not included), the kit for using your keelcrab in “manual control” mode while diving (apnea or ARA/ARO). It consists of 2 side handles and an IP69 switch for operating the traction motors (to be able to activate or stop the robot’s advancement and the relative dragging effect of the diver in the hull).
In terms of cleaning capacity, the drone is equipped with counter-rotating cushioned disc brushes (15mm excursion/adaptation to the surface) driven by a dedicated waterproof motor with variable bristles (nylon & stainless steel) to guarantee the best cleaning capacity, interchangeable according to abrasion requirements. These A.N.C.C.P. certified brushes do not remove antifouling paints but rather extend their effect and life over time.
Numerous tests have shown that the constant removal of the first layer of vegetation (3/5 mm) causes a drastic extension of the useful life of the antifouling (which returns to direct contact with the water), which translates into a great slowdown in the formation of “dog teeth” (barnacles) in the medium term, reduced fuel consumption (and related emissions) and maintenance of top sailing performance (thanks to less friction of the hull on the water).
The robot is also equipped with a keelCrab bag filtering system with a variable micrometry nylon filter bag for the recovery of waste material, algae or vegetation, resulting from the cleaning operation. Essential to avoid the phenomenon of reattachment of vegetation to the hull especially in very still or stagnant water or where the boat cannot return to sailing quickly (typically cleaning operations during the winter season).
The product warranty certificate is valid for 24 months (excluding consumables) or 500 hours of use.
- Input power supply: 100/240V AC (standard equipment with Schuko plug). Can also be powered by inverter.
- Output power supply: 26.5V DC (low voltage)
- Power consumption: 350 W (also conveniently powered by inverter)
- Size & weight: 45.5cm x 43cm x 30cm (h) weight 10kg (approx.)
- External power box dimensions: 30cm x 22cm x 12cm (h)
- Cleaning capacity: 6 m²/min
- Drone power cable: 20 m long (extendable according to specific requirements); breaking load 160 kg (in tension)
- Replaceable brushes with different abrasive force
- Weight: 10kg;
- Length: 45.5 cm;
- Width: 43 cm;
- Height: 30 cm;
- Cleaning capacity: 6 m²/min.
*vat and shipping not included
Accessories you will find in the kit
“Crew” of boat owners or boat neighbors who share the same passions and needs? Group purchasing through KEELCRAB SHARING with attractive customer benefits!
Frequently asked questions
The keelcrab drone is designed to have a cleaning capability classifiable as a “routine maintenance” of your hull respecting the surfaces, chemicals and technical elements on the living work. Since there is no scale (benchmark) with regard to the ability to abrade and remove dirt that has taken root to a boat hull, we start with the mechanical concept that the drone exerts 3.5 kg of thrust (when fully submerged) toward the hull surface and moves in counter-rotation (counter-rotation effect) a cylindrical inset brush body made of nylon (of 2 different weights) or corrugated stainless steel. Micrometric tests (pre and post robot passage) in a simulated environment (including with wastewater analysis) and practical feedback led us to obtain certification from A.N.C.C.P and to demonstrate that: complying with the starting condition of “perfectly clean boat” and “painted” with new antifouling, a hull is “still on target” (still workable i.e., cleanable by the keelcrab drone) even after a period of 6 to 8 months of complete stationing in port waters.
In the case of paints that are even partially water-soluble (self-sanding) if navigation was not possible, in order to avoid micrometer reduction of antifouling when using the drone, use is constrained to the removal of the central brush body, leaving the dual tasks of keeping the machine in adherence and sucking up silt algae or vegetation to the suction capacity alone. The proportion between suction capacity in kg and robot feed rate, demonstrates how using keelcrab without its brush body simulates slow sailing (less than 3 knots) by stimulating the paint’s natural chemical self-cleaning process.
All consumable and non-consumable items (thus covered or not covered by warranty) are designed with the logic of “do by yourself” allowing maximum freedom and autonomy over drone assistance. Assembly and disassembly operations of individual marinized components are therefore executable by anyone and without the use of special technical equipment. In all cases, replacement or intervention operations are supported by dedicated video tutorials and you will be able to find them: in the restricted area of our website, by sending a w.up to +39 327 029 5197 with a request to open a service ticket or a specific request for the consumable component you intend to replace or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “video tutorial for technical assistance” specifying the consumable technical component you intend to replace. One of our assigned technicians will follow up with you for quick troubleshooting.
The entire Keelcrab line is entirely designed and manufactured in Italy (100% made in italy) in our production facility in the province of Como, and the average delivery time is about 2 weeks from order.
- 12-meter boat: 1 hour
- 16-meter boat: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 18-meter boat: 2 hours
- Replaceable in total autonomy
- Available h48 directly from us
- Durations vary from a minimum of 50 hours to a maximum of 500 hours of use.
Abundant rinsing with fresh water after each use and sheltering in a dry, sheltered place.
How does Keelcrab stand in adhesion to the hull? Is it more suitable for planing boat hulls (motor boats) or displacement boat hulls (sailing boats)?
Keelcrab is maintained in perfect adherence to the hull thanks to a major suction effect generated by a powerful marinized pump motor by removing and sucking up algae or vegetation that typically builds up on the live work of boats during periods of dwellings in closed waters. The keelcrab drone is capable of cleaning (once quickly mastered in piloting operations) up to the 95/97% of the surface area of a displacement hull of a sailboat that exhibits characteristics of shapes and geometries classifiable as “standard” in the 10/24 meter range and 85/87% of a planing or semi-planing hull of a motorboat that exhibits characteristics of shapes and geometries classifiable as “standard” In the range 10/ 24 meters.